Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: super 8 tips

  1. #1
    Inactive Member christopherjbennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 3rd, 2002
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I usually shoot 16mm, but I've decided to go with super 8 as it's cheaper. I'm going to shoot a short slasher flick over the holidays and I'm in need of some tips. I don't have access to any lights, so i'm going to shoot outside in the daytime. what kind of stock do you recommend? Also, with the bolex I read the f-stop/fps at 1/80 because there is some loss of light from the viewfinder. Where do I read the f-stop on my meter for most super 8 cameras ( i hope i'm wording this right or else no one will understand me)? What's the cheapest to shoot (black and white)? i know some stocks can be processed at home in the tub, do you recommend this or know of any other reasonably cheap way to shoot. thanks .

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Actor's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 9th, 2000
    Posts
    622
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    The absolute cheapest to shoot is K-40 if you buy it direct from Kodak with processing. $13.54 per cart as of two weeks ago. Call 1-800-621-FILM and have your credit card ready. Be sure you get it with processing, CATALOG NO. 505 3335, otherwise it's going to cost you more later.

    K-40 is color reversal film. Getting it for $13.54 w/processing is absolutely the sweetest movie film deal in the world. It's even cheaper than reg8. It's cheaper than B&W. A cart of B&W from Kodak is $9.90 and you have to find a lab to process it. The cheapest B&W processing I've found is $7.50 per cart for a total of $17.45. With super8 shooting in B&W is an artistic choice, not an economic one.

  3. #3
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Wow. Thanks for the clear, concise info Actor. Some people claim that 16mm is similarly priced to Super-8. However, the Kodachrome deal seems to break that myth.

    Christopher, if you have used a 16mm camera, you should have no problem with a super8 camera. You probably will know how to maximize the Super-8 advantage and minimize the disadvantages.

    What Super-8 Camera are you planning on using?

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Greg Crawford's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2002
    Posts
    603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    "I usually shoot 16mm, but I've decided to go with super 8 as it's cheaper. I'm going to shoot a short slasher flick over the holidays and I'm in need of some tips. I don't have access to any lights, so i'm going to shoot outside in the daytime. "

    I see your from the Toronto area, You should be able to find like minded souls that have a love of film and lighting equipment.

    Could you rent for a couple of days , you might even consider getting a few lights...or a lighting kit.

    I would think you would need to shoot in dark places or after dark, making a Slasher film.
    if you know what your doing you might get away with day for night.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •